Highly sensitive people (or HSPs) process stimuli in a different way, often leading to overwhelm and overstimulation by information and the environment that may not overwhelm others. Stimuli may very – but you may be overwhelmed by loud noises, bright lights, big crowds, strong smells, and more. Taking care of yourself and having good strategies available to combat overstimulation can help you to manage and navigate.
- Enjoy your “you” time. Open-ended alone time can help replete energy and rest from stimuli while unwinding.
- Practice meditation or quiet time when you feel the need for a break.
- Give yourself plenty of time for tasks so that you don’t have to rush.
- Utilize healthy distractions, like watching a film or spending time with a loved one.
- Make specific items on your to-do list to avoid feeling overwhelmed. Setting concrete steps and tasks will leave less to worry about.
Click here to read more from Margarita Tartakovsky, M.S. for Psych Central.