If you find yourself stressed out much of the time or are dealing with various mental health challenges, you are not alone. As many as 80% of Americans describe themselves as stressed at work at a given time. Stress is associated with many mental health issues, ranging from depression to anxiety, as well as other physical conditions like heart disease and gastrointestinal issues. So what can we do each day to foster strong mental health? Dr. Cole outlines 12 daily habits that will welcome calm and mindfulness into your routine.
- Set your alarm earlier to give time for a peaceful morning routine, a cup of tea, and some quiet time.
- Create a reasonable to-do list of what you want to accomplish for the day.
- Organize your space to minimize clutter and create mindful order.
- Create an environment at work or home that you find peaceful and zen.
- Focus on each task one at a time to minimize anxiety.
- Be aware and mindful of your breathing. Practice conscious breathing to keep you in the present.
- Try your best to avoid constant scrolling through social media and texting.
- Avoid any office gossip by walking away or changing the subject.
- Eat foods that will bring you calm and nourish your brain.
- Avoid foods that will zap health brain function – including gluten and sugar.
- Enjoy the great outdoors for at least a bit of time each day. Connect with nature and breath the fresh air!
- Go to bed early and get a restful night’s sleep.
Click here to read the full article by Dr. William Cole for MindBodyGreen.