As we begin a brand new year, many of us may be seeking to improve our mental and physical health. While any journey toward health improvement takes time, these ten strategies are not only backed by scientific research but also come recommended from Good Therapy’s staff. Read on for more details of ten effective strategies to employ as you take steps toward bettering your mental health and well being.
- Pay it forward and help others
- Unplug and rewind
- Find joy in the simple things
- Identify your personal triggers
- Seek out a therapist
- Strengthen your community and support system
- Forgive past grievances and people from your past
- Practice gratitude
- Be kind to yourself
Daily Mental Fitness Exercises to Try
If you’re interested in practicing good mental health on a daily basis, consider trying one, or all, of the following eight daily mental fitness exercises.
Try to include these throughout your day where you can. Go for a quick bike ride down the street, take a multi-vitamin while you do the crossword in the morning, or carry a book with you to read while you wait in line at the grocery store.
Mental Fitness Exercises
- Exercise – Set aside as little as 10 minutes
- Read often and read widely
- Boost your levels of vitamin B
- Widen the range of your conversation for stimulating conversation
- Start a new hobby
- Take on puzzles, crosswords, and other games that challenge your intellect
- Stay on top of your physical health